Tadoussac takes its name from the Innu word totouskak, meaning “breasts,” which refers to the rocky, wooded hills located to the west of the village. The first official North American member of the Most Beautiful Bays in the World Club and the first Canadian site to celebrate its 400th anniversary (in 2000).
Tadoussac is the cradle of New France and an essential part of our historic heritage. Writing the first pages of European history in North America, Jacques Cartier first dropped anchor here in 1535, followed by Pierre de Chauvin de Tonnetuit in 1599, and Samuel de Champlain in 1603. In addition, Canada’s first official fur trading post was established here in 1600, at the confluence of the Saguenay Fjord and the St. Lawrence River.
Recognized by the Association of the Most Beautiful Villages of Québec, this prime resort town welcomes visitors from all over the world, who come here to live in harmony with the tides and listen to the blow of the whales during whale-watching cruises or while strolling along the St. Lawrence.